We like to celebrate birthdays at the Barnyard, they are a big deal, especially for the animals that have come to us from very bad situations. This coming Friday, March 24 is Dominic’s 17th birthday, the mini-dinkey that my husband and I sponsor. So of course I had to make him a birthday cake!
Dominic actually came from a loving home, he had been a companion animal for a horse for his first 15 years until the horse passed. He happen to come to the Barnyard because he had been attacked by bear, his head had lots of scratches and his back right thigh had to get 16 stitches. He was found in a neighbors empty swimming pool. Well, the bear kept coming back so his owners felt it best that he live out his days safely at the Barnyard with lots of friends. This is where I came in. He came on a Friday, I saw him that Saturday and fell in love….
Now back to cake, this is a great recipe; easy and delicious! And I guarantee you, vegan or not everyone will love it! Thank you Minimalist Baker for the recipe.
Ingredients for the Cake:
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup strongly brewed coffee, cooled (or more almond milk)
2/3 cup melted coconut oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups + 2Tbs unbleached all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/3 cups organic cane sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients for the Icing:
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbs vegan butter
4 Tbs almond milk or soy milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 8-inch round cake pans or one large rectangular pan with vegan butter. Dust with cocoa powder, shake out excess and set aside.
- Mix the almond milk and vinegar in a large mixing bowl, set aside for a few minutes to activate. Add coconut oil, coffee, vanilla extract and applesauce and beat until foamy.
- Put flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a sifter and sift into wet ingredients. Mix the ingredients and then add sugar continuing to mix well until not large lumps remain. It should be creamy and pourable.
- Divide batter evenly between the 2 cake pans or pour into one rectangular pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the icing add powdered sugar, vegan butter, almond milk and vanilla extract to a mixing bowl, stir until moistened. (I like to stir the ingredients a bit first so that the powdered sugar doesn’t fly out everywhere)
- Using an electric mixer, start at low speed and gradually increase speed until icing becomes smooth.
- It should be thick but spreadable. You may need to add more almond milk if too thick or more powdered sugar if too thin.
- Ice the cake as usual, add candles, sing, cut and ENJOY!
*Icing recipe courtesy of Loving it Vegan